Monday, September 28, 2009

Potty Training

So I think we have pretty much accomplished potty training with Averi. She has been going sporadically for months now but it was on again/off again and I never pushed it much. Last week I finally decided I was just going to take charge and train her. I knew that she knows how to go on the potty successfully and that she is old enough to understand it. It really just came down to me taking the time and initiative to work hard with her on it. So I dedicated my entire 4 days off to it.

The first couple days were a little hard as she was just not really very interested and it seemed like no treats, candy or promises would get her excited about it. But I think she realized that mommy was not giving up on it and we had finally had a breakthrough on Saturday. She had 3 successes with only 1 accident. Then yesterday we had 5 successes, and then today she has been going on the potty all day. We even went to I Jump today and she peed on the potty when she first got there, stayed dry the entire time, and then peed again before we left. She also stayed dry during her nap and then peed as soon as she got up. I am so proud of her!

We have been using this Elmo sticker chart which she has gotten really into and loves getting to pick out a sticker to put on her chart. I also have a bag of treats of stuff that I picked out at the Dollar Tree and she gets to pick a treat out of the bag. What's funny is she often forgets about getting a treat and seems to be more excited about putting a sticker on the chart. So whatever works is fine with me:) I go back to work tomorrow so I really hope she does as well with Juju. We'll see how it goes...


5 comments:

Heather said...

Congrats to Averi...and you. :o)

Beth said...

Ah, victory is so sweet!

Rachel said...

That's awesome!I love that last picture - too cute! We're doing the same stuff right now - but without stickers. I might have to get that!

Kris said...

Yay Averi. This a HUGE accomplishment!! for the mom as mujch as the kid. :) way to stick with it!!!

oh...and we love Build a bear too. such a fun place to take the kids!!!

Jess the Mess said...

We have been stuck in the same off/on pattern lately. This post is now motivating me to take charge! Thanks for the push!