I have been waiting for almost 2 weeks now to get all the results back from the tests my doctor ran in order to see what is causing my recurrent miscarriages. He called me today and said that something did show up on one of the final tests. I have something called MTHFR.
MTHFR (Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase) is a rare genetic defect that can lead to complications in pregnancy. Because of a mother with MTHFR’s inability to efficiently metabolize folic acid and vitamin B9, the disorder has been linked to a variety of pregnancy complications such as chromosomal abnormalities.
The good news is that it is something that is treatable. It is treated with Folgard (Folic Acid, vitamins B6 and B12) and baby aspirin. He wants me to go ahead and start on the Folgard now to allow it to build up in my body. I will start baby aspirin and progesterone as soon as I find out I am pregnant.
This makes me feel a whole lot better! Just knowing that if God allows me to get pregnant again, then these 2 things will hopefully help the baby survive the pregnancy. My doctor has another patient with MTHFR and she has also had recurring miscarriages and he said she is on these 2 medicines and is doing great during this pregnancy.
Oh, and yes it is pretty much amazing that I had healthy pregnancies with Mia & Averi...so praise the Lord for that!
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Praise God you've got an answer! I always think knowing is better than not knowing...
Now - on to trying to make another litte one ;). Have fun!
Great, great news! What a relief! Praise the Lord! ;)
That's so wonderful! I'm so glad they were able to find it! yay!!
That's great! I know you're relieved to have an answer AND to know that it's treatable. I'll be praying that all goes well with the baby-makin' ;).
Jaci- I am so happy for you and Jon! It is great that you were able to pinpoint such a rare occurance and that it is treatable! I think that is a huge answer to prayer and I will continue to pray for you guys! -Emily
Jaci, So glad to hear that. Isn't God amazing to allow us to have such knowledge. We will be praying for the health and safety of baby #3 and you too Take care. Mary T.
Post a Comment